Wildfire is the greatest natural threat that rural Montanans may encounter. If you live, work, or recreate in a wildland environment, it is important to have a good understanding of wildland fire safety and to take precautions and prepare ahead of time. Like Smokey Bear says, Only you can prevent wildfires!
The risk of losing a home or outbuildings to wildfire can be drastically reduced by following some basic guidelines.
- Educate yourself to the basics of wildfire and develop a plan.
- Create a defensible space around your assets, and keep it maintained.
- Remove ember traps that would ignite from windblown embers.
- Have basic firefighting tools and water available.
- If you plan to evacuate, do so early. The greatest risk you face is late evacuation.
For information on wildland fire safety, visit FireAdapted.org and download the Wild Fire Evacuation Checklist